Thursday, April 17, 2008

Turning the world off early



Have been thinking a lot about the 'objectivists' recently: George Oppen, Louis Zukovsky, Charles Reznikoff, Carl Rakosi, Lorine Niedecker, and am working on a review of The Poems of Charles Reznikoff 1918-1975 edited by Seamus Cooney, a book I can’t recommend highly enough. The review is for a Belfast magazine but I intend to post a more expanded version here, if I ever finish it. In the meantime, I can’t help quoting from Lorine Niedecker: Collected Works, edited by Jenny Penberthy, which the long-suffering postman has just brought to the door. They’re all from ‘New Goose’, like much of her work a series of small poems ‘separated by stars to save paper’. We should all be so frugal of paper and gesture:


For sun and moon and radio
farmers pay dearly;
their natural resource: turn
the world off early.

*

Mr. Van Ess bought 14 washcloths?
Fourteen washrags, Ed Van Ess?
Must be going to give em
to the church, I guess.

He drinks, you know. The day we moved
he came into the kitchen stewed,
mixes things up for my sister Grace –
put the spices in the wrong place.

*

The clothesline post is set
yet no totem-carvings distinguish the Niedecker tribe
from the rest; every seventh day they wash:
worship sun; fear rain, their neighbor’s eyes;
raise their hands from ground to sky,
and hang or fall by the whiteness of their all.

*

I think of a tree
to make it
last.


3 comments:

puthwuth said...

I like the section from 'Jerusalem the Golden' in which a cat vomits and Reznikoff comments 'He has added a leaf to the garden.'

The Cat Flap said...

How did I miss that?

Laura said...

It's been a long while since I've read Neidecker. Thanks for the reminder.

Here's one of her poems that I especially like.

Poet's work

Grandfather
advised me:
Learn a trade

I learned
to sit at desk
and condense

No layoff
from this
condensery

Featured post

Call for applications for the Kavanagh Fellowship, 2021

  Call for applications for the Kavanagh Fellowship, 2021 Trustees of the estate of Katherine Kavanagh ,  3 Selskar Terrace, Ranelagh, Dubli...